Star Wars: Good Series or Overrated by Society?

I never read the books, but the movies (the original 3) were pretty decent. I think they're a tad overrated, but were still spectacular movies overall for their time. I'm sure we all can think of a half dozen other movies that are purely overrated.

I'm new to the forum, but I just have to jump in here. The original three movies are timeless and classic. You have to keep in mind that when they first came out in 1977, there was no science fiction anywhere...as far as filming went. Lucas had to invent everything we now take for granted in sci fi filmmaking. The basic story line itself is pretty classic. I read somewhere that he based it on Tolkein's Lord of the Rings trilogy (the actually book, not Peter Jackson's movies).

I think the prequels spoiled things a lot and that tends to steal some of the wonder from the three originals. A New Hope will never get old (isn't there a scene in Reign of Fire where the devastated human civilization does the story in theater?). I'll be watching it with my grandkids.

Meanwhile, Lucas could start a whole new round of fans with the xwing books...for sheer action/adventure and down right good fun they can't be beat.

I didn't realise I had never entered this thread before. Star Wars overrated by society??

All I know is that I was 15 when it came out, and I, starved of the sci-fi films I would have liked to have seen, had seen nothing like it. Cinemas that had been seeing declining sales year-on-year, now had queues around the block! This was something that everyone had to see and talk about.

The leap forward in special effects, and the glut of sci-fi movies that followed it, some obviously trashy rip-offs, but others excellent in there own right, would never have occurred. I don't think you comprehend what your owe to Industrial Light and Magic.

Also, I waited long and hard for 'The Empire Strikes Back', and I still consider that the best of the series. "Luke, I am your father!" Few saw that coming!

Okay, the story is a mish-mash of other stories, blatantly stealing ideas from every source possible. But, the way they were mixed together...

Or, did you mean the second trilogy? Simon Pegg in 'Spaced' says it better than I could ever do, even if he does make the kid who wants the Jar Jar toy cry!

That was one of my favourite Spaced moments! Especially when Simon runs out of the shop crying like the kid he just sent out... crying.

Anything that has created the type of society that Star Wars has amongst its fans is definitely not over rated. It has been going strong for 30 years with the movies, books and games and it is seemingly endless.

All the posts today have been insightful, and true.

However, thread topics like this have to be expected. Star Wars is endless, and crosses into dozens of genres of entertainment.

...So if you ask the regular Joe whether or not he thinks Star Wars is overrated, chances are he will say, "Yes, it is."

Most people will say that; they are ill-equipped to judge Star Wars. They only know the movies (If just barely, compared to some of us here) and are ignorant of all that these movies have made possible over thirty years time.

Back