A question for those who are self-published

I would imagine, Anthony, that The Foresight War has a higher sales figure because you know your beans and are known in the field of military history, so when you write a "What if..." WWII novel, the audience who already know you perk up and buy it. And when it's good, they reccommend it.

With Scales, though, you're spot on - you have to compete with the wider SFF world who don't know you from Adam, so you have to build your reputation up from scratch.

Have you considered sending review copies off to reviewers? It comes out of your pocket, but could get the word out further than you yourself can spread it.

Have you considered sending review copies off to reviewers? It comes out of your pocket, but could get the word out further than you yourself can spread it.
Yes, I sent out quite a few and they have generated several reviews, mostly fairly good (with the odd exception...). I've summarised them on my website, plus provided links to the full reviews.

Yes, I sent out quite a few and they have generated several reviews, mostly fairly good (with the odd exception...).

In which case it might be worth looking at getting a cover designed professionally (or at least by a design student who's looking to grow a portfolio). Readers are swayed by the cover, even if they say they're not, and a rather dull and sad-looking cover isn't going to grab most people, especially when the book's self-published (which already has the public image of poor-quality, whether justified or not).

To use the Pantechnicon example, we've worked our butts off to ensure that the covers are high quality and reflect the quality of the contents of the magazine. We spent over a month on the logo alone, because it's worth getting right first time, and we do everything in our power to make a cover that says "This thing is worth your time and attention". By way of example:

Front-page_web.jpg

A textless WiP for Issue Seven (due June 2008, fact-fans), compared with:

Front-page-small.jpg

The finished cover for last year's Issue Five.

Contrast with the cover for Scales:

51guFFWhwxL._SS500_.jpg

a cover which has a good idea, but poorly executed. I'm sure if you approach any arts-based message board and ask for a redesign, you'll get a breadth of people offering to help. Some might do it for free, some might request a nominal fee, some might want royalties, and some might want pro rates, but unless you ask you won't get :)

Those are nice covers, Troo, but I must admit that I'm not very sensitive to cover design (although I did specify the kind of thing I wanted for both my books).

When I buy a book, it's either because I know and like the author or because it's had strong recommendations, and I usually don't even see the cover until after I've decided to buy it. I don't get opportunities to browse in bookshops any more. The SFF magazines I take I subscribe to, so I don't see the covers until they've arrived. Frankly, they could all be plain white with text as far as I'm concerned, but I seem to be in a minority!

One of the advantages of a new cover is that it could be designed to make room for quotes from those good reviews. With the cover you have now, adding anything more would just look messy.

Those are nice covers, Troo, but I must admit that I'm not very sensitive to cover design (although I did specify the kind of thing I wanted for both my books).

When I buy a book, it's either because I know and like the author or because it's had strong recommendations, and I usually don't even see the cover until after I've decided to buy it. I don't get opportunities to browse in bookshops any more. The SFF magazines I take I subscribe to, so I don't see the covers until they've arrived. Frankly, they could all be plain white with text as far as I'm concerned, but I seem to be in a minority!

Anyone on this forum is in a minority, because we go deeper into books and publishing than the average book-buyer. And that is who covers are there to attract - as they do! So don't measure the mainstream audience against yourself, it's about someone who runs into W H Smiths on a wet Wednesday morning to grab something to read on the train.

Yep. And even though we all know the cover doesn't make a difference to the contents, you're trying to attract buyers, and we all know buyers are initially attracted by shiny things :)

I find the chaps on the ImagineFX forum particularly lovely. If you like, I can ask them if they're willing to give it a try?

To use the Pantechnicon example, we've worked our butts off to ensure that the covers are high quality and reflect the quality of the contents of the magazine. We spent over a month on the logo alone, because it's worth getting right first time, and we do everything in our power to make a cover that says "This thing is worth your time and attention".

Hi Troo, can you give me the contact info of the artist that did your cover work, was he expensive? You could PM it to me if you want.

Thanks Gary:rolleyes:

I find the chaps on the ImagineFX forum particularly lovely. If you like, I can ask them if they're willing to give it a try?
Thanks for the offer, Troo, but I haven't yet decided what to do about Scales; specifically, whether it's worth putting any more time and effort into it - or into any other fiction, for that matter. I may decide to stick to non-fiction instead, since I sell everything I write in that field.

Thanks for the followup Tony.

Have you thought about ancillary materials or a follow-up to your best seller?

(Posters, maps of the events taking place...)

Have you thought about ancillary materials or a follow-up to your best seller?

(Posters, maps of the events taking place...)
The Foresight War was a book I just had to write - the ideas had been buzzing around in my head for years, and I decided that writing them down was the only way of getting rid of them. Having done so, I find I'm no longer interested in writing about that subject: that itch has been well and truly scratched!

Speaking as the eternal optimist I think 10,000 book is achievable, I sell kitchen sinks and taps to earn my crust and in 2006 I was introduced to Ebay and Amazon (you can sell not just books on the Amazon site). From a standing start I sold 2000 sinks and taps in the first year, I couldn’t believe it. All the punters wanted was a sink and tap at the right price and delivered quickly and to be of good quality. I maintained 100% feedback all the way through. For every person who needs a sink their must be a 1000 who would buy a book...

I am always driven by success and try to be positive...why not have a dream, life would be boring otherwise.

He who dares wins!!:)

I missed this - been rather busy recently!

You're right, Gary. Ten thousand is achievable, but it might not be as easy as you think. The difference between selling sinks and selling books is that if someone buys a new sink, it is normally because they need a new sink. Trying to convince people that they need one of your books is not quite so simple. Yes, they might need a book, but you must ask yourself 'why yours?' Why not the next Terry Pratchett novel, or the next Paolini? (Grits teeth as I write the name!)

I have now sold over 50 000 copies of my self-published Darkweaver books, spread across the four titles. The first has sold by far the most - approaching 20 000. They are still selling steadily, though I don't market them as hard as I did to begin with - particularly now I have books coming out that are far better written. To be honest I would rather people read my newer stuff first, get hooked and then go back to my early books to see what I did to begin with. That way they can see where I came from, without potentially being put off by the early writing.

I believe your attitude, however, will carry you far further than your books, no matter how well they're written. If you can maintain your positive outlook and believe in what you're doing, others will be persuaded to join in your belief. Best of luck. Keep on with the positive thinking! :)

I missed this - been rather busy recently!

You're right, Gary. Ten thousand is achievable, but it might not be as easy as you think. The difference between selling sinks and selling books is that if someone buys a new sink, it is normally because they need a new sink. Trying to convince people that they need one of your books is not quite so simple. Yes, they might need a book, but you must ask yourself 'why yours?' Why not the next Terry Pratchett novel, or the next Paolini? (Grits teeth as I write the name!)

I take your comments as a compliment and I admire your success and the fact you think your first books are not as good as your latest, so you have improved and still retain your humility:cool:

Writing is like life and it has to evolve, my first draft was rubbish in commercial terms but after 9 months of pain (child birth is not as bad as this - don't believe your lass) I have my latest offerings sitting on John Jarrold's desk awaiting a full structural edit.

I cant wait for his comments and if improvement is confirmed I will be happy anything else will be a bonus. For less than the cost of a pint of the amber nectar every other day you can have a great talent in the publishing world looking at your work and communicating with you - come on everybody can afford that surely!!

Regards Gary
Unofficial advertising executive for the JJLA:D

I hope he sees the funny side:eek:

Last edited:
but after 9 months of pain (child birth is not as bad as this - don't believe your lass)

I've done both, written books and given birth. Writing a book doesn't give you swollen ankles, or leg cramps at 3 in the morning. On the other hand, the gestation period can be a lot longer ...

I've done both, written books and given birth. Writing a book doesn't give you swollen ankles, or leg cramps at 3 in the morning. On the other hand, the gestation period can be a lot longer ...

Love that! - I bet you love your kids more than your books though!!;)

I bet you love your kids more than your books though!!;)

You sound like a man who has never tried to live with three teenagers.

But you're right, barring a few years in adolescence when it was pretty much a toss-up, I do love my children more.

You sound like a man who has never tried to live with three teenagers.

But you're right, barring a few years in adolescence when it was pretty much a toss-up, I do love my children more.

Don't start me off, my daughter recently metamorphosed from a teenager into a lovely young women.

But sadly I still have the two headed dragon at home, a nineteen year old boy who has testosterone flowing through his veins instead of blood... aaagh!! and he knows more than I will ever know!!!!!!!!!

I love him to bits though:) Lifes a bitch!

leg cramps at 3 in the morning.
you.. you mean I'm pregnant?:eek::p

But sadly I still have the two headed dragon at home, a nineteen year old boy who has testosterone flowing through his veins instead of blood... aaagh!! and he knows more than I will ever know!!!!!!!!!
My parents left the country to live at the other side of the world some more than a year ago, when I was nineteen. I guess they couldn't take it anymore.:(:D