DISCUSSION THREAD -- June 2024 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

You ever miss the submission deadline because you laid down for a nap to think about the two stories you wrote, and then overslept?

No? Just me?

You ever miss the submission deadline because you laid down for a nap to think about the two stories you wrote, and then overslept?

No? Just me?
I expect you are just ahead of the trend.

I don't imagine that any Chronners are desperate to read my reviews/comments on each story; with Parson and Victoria Silverwolf fulfilling those roles admirably, we already have all the welcoming acknowledgement of our stories that we need in this challenge. I do find, however, that the time and effort one puts into reading the stories and then condensing down one's reactions and thoughts into a succinct one-liner pays off in spades when it is time to choose the one to vote for. As I go through those stories once more, today, I find that I know them all, as well as if I had written them myself. Moreover, re-reading them all in one sitting somehow gives one a widened perspective on the theme as they all bounce off each other in my skull, which then feeds back into my appreciation and enjoyment of the stories individually.

I recommend writing your own reviews, if you have the time.

And talking of time, it's now - VOTING TIME!

It's so hard!!!!!!!!!

Top in category:

@Daysman - Sunlight - most beautiful.
@Luiglin - Alone - most truthful.
@Christine Wheelwright - A Shocking Near Death Experience - funniest.
@Bren G - A Promise Made - most moving and emotionally complicated.
@Parson - The Light Dawns - Best SF story (like Victoria said, it was an excellent genre piece.)
@Phyrebrat - Hard Light - Best horror story.
@reiver33 - Kiss Me, Pandora - Best movie homage.
@Ursa major - Georgie Porgie - Gets this month's "PUNCHING THE AIR" award for the most juicy, satisfying ending.

Oh bum-ache, here comes the heartache:

In joint second place, @Parson for The Light Dawns and @Christine Wheelwright for A Shocking Near Death Experience, both of which hit the sweet spot for me.

Nevertheless, I am voting for @Daysman and Sunlight, because it was both otherworldly in its beauty and had a neatly chilling twist at the end.

You’re right @Provincial — it does seem like a huge effort to make each month. I think I might’ve tried it one month around the time I joined but can’t be sure.

How Vicky and Parson manage it is beyond me. Esp the 300!

And so to my votes.
I had three vying for the vote but in the end I gave it to DaKrazyKat.

Cc*

Cul*

BrenG

DaKarazykat *

Yozh

Parson

Wow! a vote and a couple of early mentions. Thanks to @Victoria Silverwolf for the vote and @Provincial and @Phyrebrat for the lovely mentions!!

-----

We are indeed light on entries this month.

@AnRoinnUltra .... The Problem with Anarcho-capitalism .... This is a story about seeing the light, but seeing it too late.

@paranoid marvin .... Dining Out .... This is a story where rising to the light is not a good thing at all.

@Ursa major .... Georgie Porgie .... This is a story where the hunter has no idea what he's actually chasing.

Good luck with the surgery, johnnyjet. :)

As that Roman saying (almost) goes: Cartilage delenda est.

Wow! Another vote? --- Thanks so much @johnnyjet and my prayers go with you into your surgery today.

----------

Shortlist:

A captain's sacrifice by @Cooper_HFT because I always love a story of an heroic sacrifice.

Naming Rights by @Peter V because I can feel the frustration and it's so true how we major on the minors of life.

Run towards the Darkness by @DaCrazyKat29 because it draws me into such a delightful enigma.

For Better, For Worse… by @mosaix because it brought a tear to my eye and reminded me of several couples I've known.

The Speed of the Dark ... by @chrispenycate because it gave me a different answer than what I expected about the speed of dark.

-----
Runner up: A captain's sacrifice by @Cooper_HFT

Voted: For Better, For Worse… by @mosaix

It's true what I've heard then; one marker of old age is when your knees are no longer discerned by left and right, but by good and bad.

Ya have to post them now ...otherwise it sounds like it was all just a dream ;)

Maybe after the voting. The reason I was humming and hawing is that one turned into a bit too blatant a retelling of a game I recently finished, and the other I just felt kind of meh about.

And who's to say this isn't all a dream anyways?

I expect you are just ahead of the trend.

So long as the trend is "more naps" I am all for it.

Back