New year, new books... What we're reading in January.

im currently reading a series to do with the Warcraft game. its a simple read but very exciting. the 1st book is called day of the dragon. trying to fit it in with my current work situation but is not working. lol.

Wehey, I have got that book, read it a while ago and quite enjoyed it. I had completely forgotten it was a Warcraft book, a cool read. Was it part of a trilogy or something?

If so I might have to get the others.

And talking of such books when I got Day Of The Dragon I also got a Dragonlance one, think it was Kaz The Minotaur: Heroes, was cool, and another one of similar type, a book about cursed armour. That was pretty cool.

Am currently reading How To Live Forever by Colin Thompson. It's my book to read in between work while at work. Thus far it's a pretty interesting read about a boy whole lives with his mother and grandfather in a ginormous, seemingly endless museum.

The boy's father vanished in the museum before he was born and when his grandfather falls ill the child goes in serach of his father. He finds himself in a world where books are houses, wise men are really not wise and the cat probably knows all that needs to be known.

is that a stephen king book cos im sure iv had that for christmas too. lol. havent had a chance to get to it yet.

yes it is, not too sure of the story because i refuse to read blurbs and things like that (i think it ruins it). but i'm gonna give it a go. i like most king books

Finished Galactic Effectuator by Jack Vance. Not one of his best. Have now started Travel Arrangments, a collection of short stories by M John Harrison.

I've just decided to put aside my first unfinished book of the year. R. Dennis Baird's The Talon of Light. I'm a bit annoyed by the whole thing. This could be a great story. All it needs is a good editor - someone to correct all the silly mistakes, go over obvious sticky spots in the narrative and all the fun stuff an editor does. I truly think this could have been a very good book if it had been fleshed out and then turned over to an editor before being rushed to print. A shame really. Anyway, now I'm going to finally finish Memories of Ice before I get on to anything else because I've gotten to the good bits where I don't want to read anything else at the moment.

Finished these all recently. I was on vacation the week of Christmas and had some free time. Plus I think some were actually finished in late December.

The War of the Flowers Tad Williams

Wasn't as enamored of it as some seem to be here, but it was still pretty good. Much preferred it to the Outland series, which I never even got around to finishing.

Julius Caesar [Unabridged] by Grant, Michael [Audiobook] Michael Grant

Disappointment, kind of what a biography would be like as written by the National Enquirer. And it ended abruptly at his death, no analysis.

Thirty-Three Teeth Colin Cotterill

Hysterically funny detective novel set, in of all places, Laos just after the communist takeover in the mid-70s. Recommended, if you like off-beat detective stories.

The Coming Fury - audiobooks Bruce Catton

This took me about three months to finish as a book on tape. Not bad if you're into that sort of thing. Which I am. Probably a Southerner wouldn't like Catton.

Ordeal of the Union Volume I Fruits of Manifest Destiny 1847-1852 Allan Nevins

Volume I of an eight volume history of the Civil War. I'll probably still be reading this series a decade from now. The stuff in the volume on the economics of slavery and how warped the farming methods (among other things) of slaveowners became was fascinating. I'd never read about this before.

A Spot of Bother Mark Haddon

Very much a disappointment compared to A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Rather conventional.

Currently reading:

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Just about done, and its better than I expected. I was expecting something rather silly, and this definitely is not. I'll give it a very good.

Ordeal of the Union Volume II - nevins

See above, I'm about 1,000 pages into this if you take Volume I and where I am in II. And I'm still not even up to the Buchanan Administration, LOL.

Too bad I don't get more vacactions. This is about what would normally be three months of reading for me, not three or four weeks.

A Spot of Bother Mark Haddon

Very much a disappointment compared to A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Rather conventional.

It would be hard to top "Dog" in terms of style though, that was pretty unique.

Finished How To Live Forever and just started on Curry And Rice by George F Atkinson.

It's not, as the title suggests a cookbook but a pretty hilarious account of life during the Colonial rule in a Bengal province. It's a tale about the British officers attempting to create a home away from home and thus far they've managed to give a whole new meaning to tea and dinner parties; theatricals, ballroom dancing, hunting and even match making.

Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris

(The spring semester starts next week, so I've got to get my last fun reading in before Work All Comes Crashing Down Again.)

Am reading Embers by Sandor Marai. It's translated from Hungarian and is set in a castle at the foot of the Carpathian Mountains. In the castle an old aristocrat waits to greet the friend he has not seen for forty-one years. In the course of one night, the two men will fight a duel of words, of stories, of accusations and evasions.

Stephen King is a legend.

I'm reading Lisey's Story at the moment. For some reason the beginning is...well, it doesn't feel right. And that's not right, because I love Stephen King! Mind you, I've only read the first few pages, so I'm sure I'll be sucked in very soon.

And perhaps, seeing as all I've read of late is university course books (the hard, heavy stuff!) it's just strange getting back to something more mainstream like SK.

Today received The Shadow of the Wind, looking forward to devouring it! Yeah, and also The Book of Lost things, awesome cover design.

Today received The Shadow of the Wind, looking forward to devouring it! Yeah, and also The Book of Lost things, awesome cover design.

Just saw the cover, out of curiosity, very Tim Burtonish.

Sounds really cool aswell! Very Pan's Labyrinth, sounds very dark, never a bad thing. As long as the darkness stays in the book that is.

Finished Behind Closed Doors, a mystery by Natalie R. Collins. Very good, even though I had figured out whodunnit about halfway through the book.
I hate when that happens! Though it is kind of fun when you are watching a movie and can figure it out before your moviegoing companions do :D .

I just finished Memories of Ice, the third in the Malazan books by Erikson. I liked it very much. It only took me so long because in between I was doing a bunch of reading for review and of course work and life always get in the way. Now I must wait until the next one comes out in mmpb. Sigh.

Anyway, next up is Sarah Ash's Lord of Snow and Shadows, which is of course the first of another series. I've heard some good things about it so hopefully I'll enjoy it.