It's February Already! What We're Reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Finished Emphyrio (1969) by Jack Vance, marvelous Book, I'm now onto 'A Case of Conscience' (1958) by james Blish

Books lines up for the nezt 10 days or so

Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes - 1966
Nova - Samuel R Delany - 1968
Non-Stop - Brian Aldiss - 1958

Knocked off The Interpreter (vt Bow down to Nul) by Brian Aldiss. An early light-weight Aldiss, perhaps better than most of its time and class.

Just finished Storm Thief by Chris Wooding, and I'm reading Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs now.

I finished the title story of Brian Lumley's shorts collection Fruiting Bodies. It's the first of his work that I've read and I should say that he writes rather nicely, although the story never really gets as ambitious as it could have got. Lessee what the others have in store.

Can't get into Illearth War at the moment, not the book's fault, just not in the right mindset so have moved onto "Never the Bride" by Paul Magrs

xx

You get used to it about halfway through his books. Which, interestingly, seems to be when things start to happen.

Have you read any of his other Recluce books?
Apologies for the slow reply. No I haven't I like to start at the start ;).

Always a great philosophy. :) Shame that Modesitt doesn't seem to write them in any chronological order... either that or I'm doing wrong in reading them out of order. :p

They're very good. If you get the chance to read any, then do so. I don't think they're like, say, the Harry Potter series where you really need to read the series from the start to know what's happening. But rather, each book seems to jump to a different point in the history of the world it's set on. Unless, of course, it's a direct sequel, in which case it is a good idea to read the one before first... which is what I'm exactly not doing with Ordermaster. :p

And I'm rambling... yeah, have fun!

Karsa Orlong said:
You mean Frank Herbert. ;) I used to get those two confused as well.

Yes, you're right. Frank, not James Herbert. I do that all the time.:eek: By the way, "Dune" was excellent. I won't wait to long to read the rest of the series.;)
But now, I've just finished "the assassin's quest" by Robin Hobb and reading "the shadow of a dark queen" by Raymond E Feist.

By the way, "Dune" was excellent. I won't wait to long to read the rest of the series.

The First Book is a masterpiece, though you may be a little disapointed with the the rest of the sequence

Just Finished, James Blish - A Case of Conscience - 1958

A troubling book, not one that I'll forget in a hurry for sure, though I need something entertaining and light now, any suggestions :(

I agree. The other Dune books were a letdown.

Probably due to to that fact of how he approached writing the book which was with freshness and enthusiasm, the completeness of how the world is described and the psychology of the characters within that world, structurally the book couldn't have been improved upon, although his prose is fairly standard

the continuations were never going to have the same dramatic arc, intensity of vision and Vivid imagery of the first book

I'm reading Changeling by Delia Sherman. It's a fun urban fantasy!

Finished the March series (March Upcountry, March to the Sea, March to the Stars, We Few) By D. Weber and J. Ringo.
I found that the story got a bit old in the second and third books but recovered nicely in the last. (Fans of military SF will likely have differing opinions.)
I, too, need something different; maybe some E.E. Smith or Campbell or perhaps some Simak or Heinlein.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reading The Red Wyvern by Katherine Kerr. Book #9 of the Deverry series. Celtic-type fantasy.

Not bad so far. The previous book in the series Days of Air and Darkness was better.

Next text for my English course: The Importance of being Earnest. I'm 20 pages through (so technically a third!) and loving it, it's very funny. And because it's so short, it means I can hopefully get some recreational reading done this week, woot!

My favourite line so far: "To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

Status
Not open for further replies.