What Was the Last Television Episode You Watched?

KOJAK - The Chinatown Murders - Season 2 starts with him getting a partner of sorts (Roger Robinson from NEWMAN'S LAW and he seems like a fifth wheel--Crocker and Stavros likely would have had his lines normally but it is a 2 part story). They are investigating a series of robberies and kidnappings traced to three Chinese hoodlums who want to shake down the mafia. Premiered 50 years ago today. Columbo also started its 4th season the same night.

Medieval Murder Mysteries. Quite ridiculous series of historical 'investigations' into the deaths of notable people.

Each episode tends to follow the same premise of A.discussing the most likely circumstances before B.discussing some outlandish theory and finally C.voncluding that as it happened a long time ago, we will never know for sure.

What a waste of time, but not dissimilar to most modern historical documentaries.

Watched the final 2 episodes of Renegade Nell, a show on Disney+. I read a while ago that it didn't get a second season, so I was worried it might not have a satisfactory ending, but everything was tied up pretty neatly.

Most of first two episodes of Gyeongseong Creature, Korean horror on Netflix. Tonally all over the place and with some annoying aspects, but the main story, investigating disappearances related to experiments by Japanese occupiers in WW2, is intriguing.
Finished the season. I have many thoughts, some of them complimentary, many not.

So, I think it's meant to be a horror, but this is severely undercut by the main cast having five-inch-thick plot armour. There's a romance, but far too much time is given to this, especially as it's the most vanilla, surprise-free romance ever scripted. And not the good vanilla -- we're talking Starbucks vanilla syrup here. I could go on with the negatives, but in its favour most of the actors are very good and do their best with what they're given. And as I said previously, it's an intriguing premise.

I finished The Veil (2024) on HULU and I must say it was a very good 6 episode series. It is a spy mystery, centered around an intriguing British agent (Elisabeth Moss) calling herself Imogene on this assignment. She is running down a rumor that there is going to be a large scale terrorist attack in the near future in coordination with French Intelligence service (DGSE) reporting to Malik Amar (Dali Benssalah) who happens to be her lover. A suspected key to the operation is a rumored woman commander for ISIS who might be Adilah El Idrissi (Yumna Marwan). The main action centers around Imogene and Adilah who are traveling together and evading their respective bosses as Adilah tries to save her daughter and Imogene tries to get Adilah to reveal the details of the terrorist plot. I was engaged the whole time. Although some might think it moved forward a bit slowly, I felt the tension ramping up with each episode. I felt that Elisabeth Moss was perfectly wonderful and Dali Benssalah was perfectly cast. This is a spy series that is heavy on building characters and seeing relationships develop and light on flashy action scenes. It was only in the last episode did the show remind me of the more traditional spy shows with a lot of playing to type by the shadow players.

I was stunned to see that it only received a 3 star rating by 6000 reviewers.

Avoid --- Not Recommended --- Flawed --- Okay --- Good --- Recommended --- Shouldn’t be Missed

First three episodes (of nine) of the Netflix documentary Turning Point: the Bomb and the Cold War. Recommended.

Penguin S1 E1 on HBO was brilliant considering the character seemed fairly one-dimensional.

Sorry could not find where to post this: Oct. 1st LEGO 1966 Futura Batmobile becomes available for order!!

BATMOBILE.jpg

Batman™: The Classic TV Series Batmobile™ 76328 | Batman™ | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

I admit, I will not buy 1; I still have a closet full that I must sell.

THE WILD WILD WEST- The Night of the Sabatini Death - Jim West has to find a girl and a hidden treasure and is the little buddy to Alan Hale who at first I had trouble taking seriously but he got into the part and also shares a scene with a talkative cat. And Jim Backus shows up too and they get in a Gilligan's Island joke.

MANNIX - A View of Nowhere -- Joe is flying over in a helicopter (piloted by James Garner's brother Jack) and swears he witnessed a red-haired woman being murdered. But when he gets the cops to investigate--learns that it is a British couple and the woman is fine. Red hair, British...in LA around 1968...could it be Hazel Court? Yes! I guessed right. And she can't be trusted. Kate Woodville also shows up so it has a higher than average non-American accent ratio.

KOLCHAK - THE NIGHT STALKER - The Zombie -- one of the top episodes of the series. I think it helped that they didn't have the regular newsroom extras hanging around to take up more time. Premiered 50 years ago tonight.

KOJAK - Hush Now, Don't You Die - A rape victim flees the crime scene after one of the attackers (who resembles Woody Allen ) shoots the other. Her father seeks out the rapist for revenge as the cops try to narrow in on the girl. Premiered 50 years ago tonight..

MCCLOUD- The Barefoot Girls of Bleecker Street - McCloud encounters a runaway teen with a sick baby and ends up interfering with a FBI undercover operation (they pose as singers) at a club run by Shelley Winters where she uses underage girls to trap business men so they can steal their credit cards to buy color tvs and other items which are sold at legit auctions. Meanwhile, Chief Clifford has to give a speech at a police convention We get to see a glimpse of his wife (the back of her head anyway).

Clifford: Well what are you waiting for?
McCloud: I'm waiting for my next assignment Chief. I'd like to know where I report in the morning.
Clifford: Uh well let's see what turns up.
McCloud: Anything special?
Clifford: No, I am just not sure who deserves you McCloud.

Premiered 50 years ago tonight.

KOJAK - Hush Now, Don't You Die - A rape victim flees the crime scene after one of the attackers (who resembles Woody Allen ) shoots the other. Her father seeks out the rapist for revenge as the cops try to narrow in on the girl. Premiered 50 years ago tonight..

MCCLOUD- The Barefoot Girls of Bleecker Street - McCloud encounters a runaway teen with a sick baby and ends up interfering with a FBI undercover operation (they pose as singers) at a club run by Shelley Winters where she uses underage girls to trap business men so they can steal their credit cards to buy color tvs and other items which are sold at legit auctions. Meanwhile, Chief Clifford has to give a speech at a police convention We get to see a glimpse of his wife (the back of her head anyway).

Clifford: Well what are you waiting for?
McCloud: I'm waiting for my next assignment Chief. I'd like to know where I report in the morning.
Clifford: Uh well let's see what turns up.
McCloud: Anything special?
Clifford: No, I am just not sure who deserves you McCloud.

Premiered 50 years ago tonight.
As I recall, MCCLOUD, Columbo, & Mac Millan & Wife were taking turns on the ABC Sunday night movie.

More episodes of Checkmate, which is definitely evolving into a showcase for the guest star or guest stars, often relegating the three protagonists into less important roles.

Then we moved on to binge watching Beavis and Butt-Head. Offensive, disgusting, sophomoric, crude, and funny.

I watched the first two shows of High Potential. This is an ABC show (I watch on Hulu) about a polymath woman who for one reason or another can't keep a job, but working as a janitor in the detective office shows a uncanny ability to see things in the evidence that solves crimes. (Think Elementary with Sherlock as a woman who actually has social skills.) I understand that it's based on a successful French series.

So far I'd rate it a "wait-and-see" show. It's good enough that I might really like it, but one scene last night had cringy bad acting.

First episode of Ludwig with David Mitchell as a professional puzzle-setter turned reluctant detective. Wednesday nights on BBC1. Excellent comedy / drama. Some laugh-out-loud moments.

Need to check this out, thanks.

Sir Clive Sinclair: The C5 Story

A nice, interesting documentary about the invention that sank a company due to the obsession of its founder in developing an electric vehicle.

Sinclar products were synonymous in the 70s and 80s for British technology at its finest; from calculators to watches to mini tvs to the first home computer to successfully find its way into the bedrooms of children throughout the UK.

The (often hilarious) tv movie 'Micro Men' will for me always be the defining programme about the Sir Clive, but this 60 minute show is a nice accompaniament, and talks to the people responsible for producing and selling the C5.

Highly recommended. (Free on Amazon Prime).

First episode of Ludwig with David Mitchell as a professional puzzle-setter turned reluctant detective. Wednesday nights on BBC1. Excellent comedy / drama. Some laugh-out-loud moments.
I have also watched the first episode. There are great similarities in the story with ITV's Professor T. (It's also a little like McDonald and Dodds.) However, this may not be a problem for me because it might be much better than both of those. I found it funnier.

(I was going to say that's it's just a broader question of why TV detectives today have to be a little oddly behaved, but then I look, just on this page of the this thread alone, and see that 50-years ago we had Columbo, McCloud and Kojak, which kind of destroys that argument.) :LOL:

MANNIX - Fear That I Fall -- Joe is called to a small town to testify in a murder case involving a cat burglar he busted years before being accused of murder. When he decides to delay his departure flight he is beat up which makes him even more suspicious. For a while I thought it unusual that the small town sheriff was not a sinister character since they usually are in these shows. I only needed to wait until the last few minutes. One odd thing is that a defense attorney with really big hair disguises herself as a wanted witness--and when she removes her wig, her big hair looks totally different. Then again, when Dana Elcar gets punched by Mannix he seems to lose a few pounds. Want to lose weight? Try the Joe Mannix Punchy Weight Reduction Program.

Speaking of weight
CANNON - A Well-Remembered Terror -- Frank is hired to help a family being threatened by an unknown party--he even kills Mr. Cat. Cannon learns that the case involves a DB Cooper-type plane hijacking and pilot Robert Goulet is a suspect. At the end he brings a kitten to replace Mr. Cat and discovers there are about a half dozen Mr. Cat replacements already there.

BARNABY JONES - The Murdering Class-- Barnaby vs some young whippersnaps who think they can outsmart him by blaming an accidental death on the black tennis coach at a boy's school. Notable for Beep censoring a certain word at the start of a familiar phrase that ends in woodpile. First time I have encountered that done with a dvd recording.

KOLCHAK - THE NIGHT STALKER -- They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be... Carl vs an invisible alien. One of the more interesting ideas although the lack of a visible monster kind of makes it less transparent in terms of remembering it. Gordie the ghoul makes another appearance--they should have used him more. Premiered 50 years ago tonight.