What was the last movie you saw?

I drug my father-in-law and my wife's youngest siblings (about 9 and 10 years old) across the Bay Bridge to see it. It was magical. The colors were vibrant. The painted backdrops and the pastel soaked dock architecture leapt out at us.
Dragged, you mean. I hope :p
The automaton assassin was awesome to be sure. I would have been terrified if I'd seen it as a kid. But the spider thing should not have been attempted in the manner it was. The old King Kong movie had far more convincing creature FX.

I only saw the Technicolor version of Thief of Baghdad in the last year (it added a lot to my memories). It still holds its own over most of the flick (except for the spider sequence).

Speaking of bad FX, I have been collecting a bunch of 1950s Universal sci-fy/monster movies (all B&W), over the last couple of weeks;
Tarantula (probably the biggest spider ever put on celuloid...)
The Mole People
The Land Unknown
Deadly Mantis
and The Lost Continent (possibly the worst dinosaur FX ever done, but some cheap CGI may be even less acceptable).

Most are quiet enjoyable, when viewed in the right frame of mind, and the indie movie makers could learn a lot from these.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
H. J.: They could indeed! (Then again, there's that bizarre and twisted little piece, Eight-Legged Freaks....)

Thief of Baghdad... yes, the spider sequence has its problems, but this is a film I've always loved dearly; having seen it on the big screen more than once, I have to agree that in many ways it could give most of the fantastic films since a good run for their money as far as sheer quality....

Ha... Eight Legged Freaks; haven't yet seen it but its on my "look for" list along with the "tanna leaf" Mummy movies from the late 30s/early 40s.

I spend a couple of hours every week or so shopping for previously viewed movies... (home theater/a movie library is neat but the cost of hardware is less than the cost of software).

Just watched "Scaramouche" and "Court Jester" both from the 50s. On first impression Scaramouche wasn't great (I'll give it at least a couple of chances) but Court Jester still makes me laugh.

Enjoy!

Race to Witch Mountain. I don't know what I was expecting, having seen the original films years ago, but it was still fairly enjoyable.

"Damage" with Steve Austin (an American "wrestler"), not very good, its a fight movie with some slow parts, might be worth a rental if you like fight movies; or get bored watching the grass grow.

Enjoy!

"Damage" with Steve Austin (an American "wrestler"), not very good, its a fight movie with some slow parts, might be worth a rental if you like fight movies; or get bored watching the grass grow.

Enjoy!

I watched the first 15 minutes or so of this movie but switched off when it came to the scene in the coffee shop where the woman spoke about her daughter needing the heart transplant. That scene, and the one where the waitress's toothy boyfriend approaches Austin about fighting for money, told me all I needed to know about the film.

And it's a pity because I think they had the germ of an interesting little film. Austin is no great actor but he has an imposing screen presence. I thought that a film along the lines of The Wrestler would've been really interesting. Austin as an ex-con, still coming to terms with his violent past, trying to make a life for himself without resorting to violence and learning to forgive himself for the terrible crime he committed. They wouldn't even have needed much dialogue. A film like that could be observational - allowing us to "spy" on his life.

Watched SHUTTER ISLAND last night.....Meh....saw the twist a mile off, but enjoyed Di Caprio's acting, he's probably one of Hollywoods best at the moment IMO

Kung Fu Panda
Didn't have big expectations so was pleasantly surprised by a decent generally entertaining movie with some kickass action scenes. But Jackie Chan got really shafted on this - an animated tribute to the Kung Fu movies of yore and all he gets is half a sentence of dialog and no memorable character moments? my fav character in this was the goose that plays Po's dad - also one of the few authentic Hong Kong accents in the film.

Hot Tub Time Machine
To some extent the censorship on Indian screens may have spoiled this, but this tale of millennium middle-agers going back in time to the 80's played like a lame version of the significantly more enjoyable The Hangover.

Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Terrific, except when it pays attention to its silly and shallow plot. Gilliam's visual sense totally rips a new one and even that Heath Ledger fellow is not half bad in this one. Christopher Plummer and Tom Waits have fun playing off each other.

Coffy
Fast paced fun blaxploitation flick improved further by the tremendously (and I mean tremendously) sexy presence of Pam Grier. Two Thumbs up for eye candy

How To Train Your Dragon. Pretty good actually, I thought it'd be really cheesy. I mean, anything with dragons in it has got my vote anyway but this was quite original for a kids movie. Although a lot of films I've seen lately have an underlying "love me daddy, love meeee" theme, which kind of leaves me cold. Anyway, to sum up: I really enjoyed it and would happily watch it again :)

I saw Hotel for Dogs. Alright, except we have a Tesco Value DVD player and every ten mins a little 'Tesco' logo would appear and blank out the film.

I have a tesco value DVD player (cost me less than £20) and that doesn't happen on mine. the Tesco logo only appears when I switch it on or when there is no disc in the player.

Mine was about £15 I think. It's done it a couple of times, it's almost like a screensaver on a PC. Well, it's exactly like that actually.

Saw Iron Man 2 and did not reate it as highly as the first. still an epic ending though...

Kung Fu Panda
........... my fav character in this was the goose that plays Po's dad - also one of the few authentic Hong Kong accents in the film.

James Hong. This guy is incredibly active as an actor. See his list of credits at the IMDB website:

James Hong

My favorite has to be his portrayal of David Lo Pan in Big Trouble In Little China.

Last edited:
Watching Stars Wars: Episode IV at the moment. Well, it is 4th May.

Watched most of Seven Year Itch earlier. Ah, Marilyn. So beautiful.

The Road: In my opinion, just as good as the book. Bleak and depressing, but a realistic tale of what might happen if we keep following this path.

The Book Of Eli: Not bad PA actioner from the Hughes Brothers. I wasn't really expecting much (even though I do like the Hughes Brothers previous efforts) and was pleasently surprised.

Survival of the Dead: George Romero, has gone back to grass roots and created a woeful 6th film in his Dead series. I swear this was nothing more than a remake of Day of the Dead, which was equally dreadful. Though Day of the Dead had better FX.